Thursday, April 5, 2012

Joshua Tree


My friend Rachel took this great shot of Mike climbing Rubicon, me belaying.

I have been struggling to find words to describe my experience over the last two weeks in Joshua Tree, and I don't think I'm going to be able to do it justice, but I am using the internet for the 1st time in 2 weeks so I thought I better write something.

Being a climbing bum has been everything I have ever expected it to be.  And the best part is that I have met lots of other people just like me...either temporarily unemployed or employed in fields that allow them long, or frequent stretches of time off to live on the road and climb in places like Joshua Tree and a number of other places that attract nomadic climbers--places like Yosemite, El Patrero Chico in Mexico, Lander, Wyoming, and Smith Rock in Oregon.

I showed up here two weeks ago knowing no one, but within a couple days I had a whole circle of friends/climbing buddies, Hidden Valley campground had become my home and a whole new world of possibilities had been opened up to me.  Everyone shares my obsession with nature, travel, and rock climbing and other outdoor adventures, and they have each found their own ways of making a nomadic lifestyle possible.  Like me, they are willing and able to do without most of the regular comforts of home such as a bed, a real shower, a refrigerator, running water, fast food, TV, and couches.  The benefits more than make up for the sacrifices.  We enjoy lots of beautiful sun and sunsets--often from clifftops, fresh air, starry nights, beers around campfires with happy people, world class rock climbing everyday- within walking distance.  And best of all, a community of people who are super stoked to be alive and be here and to help each other out.  Some people work for periods of time and take the rest of the year off to travel and climb, some people work as outdoor educators which brings them to places like Joshua tree for work, some work as guides...most folks don't pay rent anywhere.  They live out of their cars and stay for weeks at a time in climber havens like Hidden Valley campground.  

It's hard to believe that I won't simply be going home after a trip like this, but rather going on to a whole summer in Alaska!  I have one more week here in Joshua Tree during which time a couple friends from the previous two weeks (Gavi and Rachel) will return, a couple more will leave (Kyle, Teresa, and Kevin), and some will stay (Simon) ...and I will be climbing my hardest ever :)  After recovering in town today, I am hoping to lead lots more 5.8s and 5.9s and maybe even a couple 5.10a's.

After my experience here and meeting the people I have met, I am now confident that I won't have any problem figuring things out after this summer.  I have discovered the lifestyle I have been dreaming of, I'll be getting tons of training, and I know now that there are tons of possibilities out there for me to do what I love.
My friends Gavi, Mike, and Sam.


Rachel and I enjoying another beautiful sunset on top of a rock.


Me, climbing Pope's Crack, my first 5.9 lead.



No comments:

Post a Comment