Saturday, March 17, 2012

Moving on

Sorry, no creative writing, but I have some updates on a few vaguely related topics...a little more to-the-point this time...

Living in San Diego has been interesting and it’s been fun, but I am even more excited for my next move.  A few day ago, I told my manager at Domino’s that I am leaving, so Sunday is my last day. Even though it has only been a few weeks, it was difficult to break the news.  I also told Bobby of my plans to leave earlier than planned (I initially planned to stay here until mid April)...we will probably have a farewell dinner on Tuesday, and I will be driving to Joshua Tree Wednesday morning.  I have been organizing the truck and buying a few more things, such as sunglasses and gloves for my mountaineering course, and a couple things for travelling...a solar shower (2.5 gallon water bladder with a shower head on it, made of black plastic so it is supposed to heat up from the sun), climbing tape, bath wipes (like big wet wipes, for a substitute shower), and a cooler.  I got to use my yearly REI member dividend of $265, so I didn’t spend any cash :)  I’m also stocking up on cheap, non-perishable food such as bulk 10-bean soup mix for 1.49/lb, 6grain cereal mix (like oatmeal) for 1.19/lb, a 5lb bag of rice for $3 something, Zatarains and other similar rice mixes to mix with the cheap rice.  Canned tomatoes, corn, tomato paste... pasta, and a couple jars of Spagetti sauce.  I already have seasonings and sweeteners to make that stuff edible.  I also learned how to clarify butter yesterday...if you heat real butter on the stove and skim off the cream that forms on the top, put the remaining liquid in a container and solidify it in the fridge, it supposedly lasts for a couple months without refrigeration.  It seemed to work as described in my book, so I will be trying that out for the first time.   



I talked with someone at IWLS yesterday, about rental gear. I received an email from them the other day double checking everything, since my Alaska semester is getting close. I confirmed that I have no flight numbers or accommodations since I will be driving, and camping. They have all the necessary waivers, they've received my health form, and my tuition is paid in full. The last form they need from me is a rental gear list. I will be renting mountaineering boots and an avalanche beacon for my mountaineering course, and a dry-suit and rubber boots for sea kayaking. I was also told that my instructor (for my first class?) will be Meredith Riley. I looked her up on their site...she's a professional skier, she instructs IWLS mountaineering, ski mountaineering, and ice climbing courses in Alaska and Utah, and is also an EMT.


I recently sold a few items on Ebay which will be a nice boost to my coffers.  I had sold a few big ticket items before leaving home, but I had a few other things that I decided to bring with me and sell when I got here, instead of putting in storage.  My motorcycle helmet sold for 230, my first triathlon helmet went for 75, and my old clip-on aero-bars (for triathlon) for 50.  Every bit helps at this point, especially after spending money on my truck. No car troubles per se, but I had the brakes done a couple weeks ago. Everyone will probably be glad to know that it is in good shape.  Besides the brakes, I replaced two of the tires before leaving Wichita, and got the oil changed when I got here.  And don't forget, the timing belt and water pump were replaced last summer in Anchorage! It is ready for the long haul!


I had the day off of work yesterday, and Bobby’s cats woke me up at like 5:30, so I decided to enjoy the morning and go workout, outside.  To speed my return to climbing form for the next few weeks, I’ve been doing workouts for climbing at a nearby boulder field.  Since I’m by myself with no one to belay me, I can’t climb any actual routes, so I just climb around on the boulders, near the ground, to build up my grip endurance.  Pull-ups, and core exercises work other climbing muscles and I do some push-ups for good measure.  I don’t always combine climbing with hiking, but yesterday after bouldering around, I went for a hike.  I put three climbing ropes and a few other things in my pack for weight (probably 40 pounds?), and did two laps on one of the peaks (1200-1300 feet?) at my favorite park, Mission Trails.  My last few hikes have been about three hours long, and I have gotten noticeably stronger.  I can charge up the steepest hills for 20 minutes straight without even slowing down, and whenever the trail levels out, I jog.  These hikes have also been a good way of breaking in my new boots.  I had blisters after 30 minutes my first time out, but now they feel like shoes...I REALLY like them.  


Finally...it’s raining today; pouring right now actually!  The third rainy day we’ve had in a month-- what’s up with that San Diego?!  


Random photo of me and Adam at J-tree, in the good ol' days!

1 comment:

  1. wow j t looks fab!you are in heaven ,i can tell! great addition to your book!! do wish i could be there. so glad all is going well---cant wait for next chapter!

    ReplyDelete