Tuesday, March 13, 2012

San Diego

I decided to start this post with a short narrative...

“Hoooolyyyy crap”....I shift uncomfortably in my seat and scowl in disbelief at the hill that I'm about to climb... in my truck. I prepare to shift to my lowest gear as I approach the roller coaster like incline ahead of me. “you've got to be freakin' kidding me” I think. I have driven in hills and mountains before, but nothing like this. No time to second guess, I charge into the hill, afraid of losing momentum and instantly determine that there's no way my truck could do even second gear. The little four cylinder motor howls at high rpm, using max power just to creep up at 15 mph. I tensely lean forward in my seat and look toward the houses next to the street and see that there is a nearly 45 degree angle between the level lines of the houses and the street. “Ludicrous!...Insane!...WTF!” I think. "How can such a road.... be allowed? This is like an off road park." The road levels out at an intersection, then climbs again, and repeats. I nervously scan to look for addresses as I approach the house I'm looking for, wondering if it will even be safe to stop in the middle of such a ridiculous ramp. I see a number and decide that I'm close enough, so I swerve over to the curb and quickly press hard on the brakes just after gravity hastily halts my forward progress. It occurs to me that on such a grade, turning the wheels into the curb isn't just a precaution, it's quite necessary. And the parking brake alone would be about as useful as a WalMart plastic bag used as a parachute in a free fall.
With the front tire biting solidly into the curb, the parking brake pressed to its last click, engine off, and in gear, I carefully release the brake pedal, expecting to somehow slide downhill despite all my efforts. But it holds...so I slam my body back into the seat a couple times to test it...it still holds. I tentatively step out of my truck onto the asphalt “hillside” and deliver the Domino's pizza and parmesan bites to this house on a hill. Mission accomplished, I get back in my truck, write a 3 on the receipt to record the $3 tip, put my pen back in the visor, stick the receipt with the others, and start the truck. Like climbing Everest, getting up this hill is only half the battle, so I survey the situation to determine the best method of turning around to get back down. Luckily there's a driveway behind to the right that I can roll backwards into, and thus avoid the unsavory task of starting out on a steep incline, with a manual transmission. I arrest my descent by rolling in first gear, and applying the brakes every couple seconds.

I feel relief to be done with that delivery, and also take comfort in knowing that I will only be punishing my truck like this for a couple more weeks. But also, I appreciate the learning aspect of this kind of challenging driving. I knew delivering pizzas in Spring Valley, a totally unfamiliar part of San Diego, would be a challenge of my navigation skills, but the terrain has been equally challenging to my driving skills. I sought a job when I got here in order to cover my expenses during my stay in San Diego, but it has been almost as valuable as a learning experience. Not so much work experience to be applied to later jobs, but simply life experience...the challenges of finding a job, getting to know a new crew of coworkers, and learning my way around a new city.
Fortunately, most deliveries aren't on such outrageous hills and my job delivering pizzas for Domino's has been pretty enjoyable overall. My previous delivering experience helped me to learn my way around within the first couple days of delivering and my coworkers are all pretty cool as well. It feels good to have put some money back in my bank account, and in my pockets as well, with tips. But, I am anxious to get on the road, so I have decided to leave San Diego a few weeks earlier than I originally planned. Instead of heading straight to Alaska from here, I am going to do a three week stint as a climbing bum at Joshua Tree National Park, before continuing north. It's on the way, about three hours north of San Diego. I will be camping there, living meagerly, and climbing as much as possible. J-Tree is a high elevation desert, strewn with what look like mounds of giant boulders ranging from 4 feet to 150 feet high, and garnished with more plant life than you might expect in a desert. It's a strange and beautiful landscape with unusually blue skies, spectacular sunsets, and dark, clear nights thick with stars.  It’s a major rock climbing destination with a resident population of climbers, and I have always heard that one can go there alone and easily find people to climb with.  
Adam and I made several trips there while stationed at Miramar, I spent 5 days there during my 2007 road trip, and I have been dreaming of climbing there again ever since.  


This visit to San Diego has been a great experience...I've had lots of good times with friends, I have gotten the hang of surfing, I have relished the often perfect sunny weather; sometimes at the beach, sometimes in the hills, hiking or running. I have read a couple good books, and I learned how to brew beer at home from my friend Bobby, who I'm rooming with. It has been fun,
but with one of my favorite climbing places so close, and after climbing a couple times nearby, the climbing bug has got me again and I can't pass up the opportunity to spend some time dedicated to climbing, before I spend the summer doing all kinds of other cool stuff :D




5 comments:

  1. That delivery sounds like it would produce some pretty sweaty palms and feet. How does the crew compare to the Knolla's gang? Are the tips as good in CA? Do they treat you pretty well? We are heading to Riverside, CA next week for spring break. We are stopping in Moab, UT for the night and checking out Arches national park the next day. Then to Vegas and onto Riverside. Since Joshua Tree seems almost on the way you have convinced us to give it a try, seems like it would be a great camping experience. To bad you aren't going to be there next week, perhaps we could bring you some goodies from civilization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's no Knolla's crew, but they're not bad. Everyone has been very helpful, which is nice. The tips suck, and we only get to keep like 1.40 of each $3 delivery charge. Plus gas is 4.29/gallon, so yeah, even if I were sticking around, I think I would find another job. But it's better than nothing.
    Sounds like a sweet road trip you've got planned. What is in Riverside? Moab and Arches Park are super cool; I went there last spring. Yeah I think Joshua tree would be on your way. I highly recommend it (obviously), although the camp grounds fill up on weekends so it would be best if you arrived during the week. I am actually planning to get there next week, probably the 20th or 21st :D It would be cool to see you out there...give me a text or call. Cell phone reception is spotty, but I will be going into town every few days to check messages and email.
    It'll be a new moon, making for superb gazing conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's like spending precious time on vacation shopping for souvenirs or even taking photos, but sure wish you'd post here more often ! Ah, the anticipation ! I keep coming back, like picking up a good book I'm reading, with no more pages to read ! (Only, like a children's book, cause it's enhanced with great pictures :)
    Your dear mom (who you're keeping in good touch with, I hope?,) is so right; you are an excellent writer ! Wow !
    Hope you're having an excellent adventure, and taking good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie, it's good to know that people are reading and enjoying :D I think I will be more inclined to write after leaving San Diego...as the real adventure gets started.

      Delete
  4. First day of spring break and I'm on the Blog :) haha... I love the pictures, it looks beautiful! I was just talking about you tonight and it reminded me to check your updates! Still exciting as always and I am still missing you on these beautiful spring days when walks in college hill are calling my name! Have fun these next few weeks and be safe! keep me updated! Can't wait to see another post!

    ReplyDelete